The next article I found, while published not too long ago, provides an early look on an aspect of many college student's lives. The article discusses Netflix's early ideas into looking into "online video". It explains the shift of attention from its mail-order DVD service to it's online video service. Today it's easy to see why such a shift was very important for that company, and it provides a nice look onto the early ideas of the utilization of online video for different companies.
Sunday, September 21, 2014
Historical Database: "Online Video"
I conducted my search in the provided databases on the term, "online video" to see what possible early uses of this term were. The earliest article I found was a news headline in 1978 in the New York Times. The article explained the advent of a new "online video display tube system for typographers", this was for a company called Compuscan. It seems that the very notion of viewing videos in online space was an area of intrigue in the early days of online technologies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is very easy to see why a company would need to switch to online video from DVD service now a days. I wonder how much of a jump it was for them when they switched. How big of a problem was and whether they got any backlash from the decision. That historical context would be very interesting.
ReplyDelete