I had nothing else going on this evening, so I decided to get a head start on this weekend's blog post assignment before all of the good devices were taken! So I have decided to do some search on the computer. Below is my official blog post about the information I discovered:
New York Daily Times (May 6, 1852)
The term "computer" is first used as the calculation device to estimate the increase in population in the United States.
Chicago Tribune (May 11, 1853)
This article also mentions the word computer as a mathematical computation device. He even refers to the computer as a "calculation machine."
Los Angeles Times (March 4, 1894)
Again, the news article refers to the computer as a sort of computation device that calculates information for the government, more specifically the Treasury Department.
ProQuest (September 1953)
Decades later, the "calculation machine" is now referred to as a "high speed automatic digital computer." The authors in this article are marveling, comparing, and questioning input, memory, etc. in these new digital computers.
Project Muse (March 1968)
The article talks about how scholars are using computers to calculate and estimate the "voting behavior between 1836 and 1860."
JSTOR (November 30, 1809)
This article jumps backwards over a century and a half, and lightly talks about how a computer should be used to calculate American money transactions.
After comparing these six articles, I think many of the mid 1800's article reporters are intrigued and referring to mathematician and inventor Charles Babbage who was working on creating a computer-like device that would successfully compute mathematical calculations. It's interesting because most of the articles refer to the computer as being a technologically advanced calculator. Today, the computer is definitely able to perform both simple and complex mathematical computations. I just find it fascinating that computing equations was what got people excited back several centuries ago. The idea of global communication was never mentioned - arguably one of the most important aspects of the computer today.
Hey Mei Li! I thought your research was very interesting - it was kind of surprising to me that math was supposed to be the main purpose for computers back then. It's strange that all of the technology we use today had such different intentions for use in the past...that's just what your post made me think of.
ReplyDeleteIts crazy to think how far computers have come. From being devices that filled up a whole room to being a small compact device that sits on your lap and going from being excited about using them for mathematical purposes to mainly being used for quick information, social networking, and watching videos. Also the dates as far back as 1809 were surprising. Interesting articles you found!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking that same thing as Sydney as I was reading this. It's amazing how much the computer has developed over time. I also think it's interesting that a lot of the articles use the term computer when referring to a calculation device because that is definitely not how computers are used today.
ReplyDelete