Thursday, October 9, 2014

Book Project: Seeing Ourselves Through Technology: How We Use Selfies, Blogs and Wearable Devices to See and Shape Ourselves

To find relevant books to our class I conducted three searches using the phrases: 

-"Information Society" 
-"Information and Communication" 
-"Information and Communication Technology".

The three books I found to be most interesting out of each search are as follows (in respective order):

Information Society: A Study of Continuity and Change

[John Feather]
The Big6 in Middle School: Teaching Information and Communications Technology Skills 

[Barbara A. Jansen]

*Seeing Ourselves Through Technology: How We Use Selfies, Blogs and Wearable Devices to See and Shape Ourselves

 [Jill Walker Rettberg]


Each book has all positive reviews on the sites I checked. Though there was not a huge amount of reviews for each book, the existing reviews for these books were all five-stars, so I assume that while these books may not be too mainstream, their niche audiences presumably enjoyed them very much. Out of the three options. In terms of academic references to these books, each has results on ProQuest and Muse suggesting they have been used in the past. The Big6 book has slightly more than the others, though in my initial book searches I saw many books on the subjects I searched under the name Big6, so I assume that may be a line of books that would presumably benefit from having a slightly larger reader base. 

I have chosen to review Seeing Ourselves Through Technology: How We Use Selfies, Blogs and Wearable Devices to See and Shape Ourselves written by Jill Walker Rettberg and published in 2014 (so hopefully cultural relevance will not be an issue). It seems to fill the criteria of reliability, and it covers a topic that I would be very much interested in reading. It is centered around information and communications technology that are not only relevant to our class (as well as our section's other FIG classes), but also relevant to my life as well as many other college students in general. I believe it has a very promising concept that I would like to read more about, and I feel that I would be able to evaluate it on a critical level because not only does it fall into subjects we have researched in LIS 201, but it also pertains to pieces of technology I use everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.