When I went to do this assignment I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to find. First I looked at my home town of Wheaton, Il. I found out exactly what I already knew. I grew up in a relatively affluent, and very white suburb. The place is also quite well educated which was also not a surprise. From that information you could guess that I grew up in a pretty well off white family that sent me to public school, but there was a bit of a chance I went to private school. There are a lot more things that my home town could tell you about me (some of it not true) if you know the place, but that site was quite accurate.
When i went to google myself there was really only one surprise. I was expecting to find my Facebook which was there. It showed all the things I "liked" on the site. So a lot of my interests were easily found. But those things are not the most accurate. They are some new and some left over things from a year or so ago when I went on Facebook regularly. I also found my Pinterest which showed you absolutely nothing because I made it and never once used it. The other non surprise was all of my sports records. The big thing was from the last time I googled myself the sport had switched mostly from swimming to throwing. Other than that it was just the results from many meets. All of this was no surprise and nothing to worry about. I don't think anything on there reveals to much. If someone did want to stalk me using those sites it would be pretty uneventful and useless. The one surprise, and worrying aspect was my twitter. I expected this to come up in association to my name. What surprised me was that everything I had ever tweeted came up. I didn't realize my privacy settings on that site were so very low, and that is going to change. There is nothing on there I am embarrassed of, or wouldn't want a future employer to see, but I don't remember every word i have tweeted. And having a stranger have access to that is a scary thought. I thought about what else I could look myself up on I went to tumblr to see what it new about me. On there you can not find me unless you know my URL and even then when you search me you only get the posts I'm tagged in, not my actual blog. Over all the things that someone could find about me online is a very accurate representation of who I am. They have inflated my athletic tendencies a bit and they have some old data, but other than that it was very good. Even with my entire twitter public, not too much about me could be found. They could see who my really good friends are and that I like Youtube, but none of that is secret from the world.
I thought that empty Pinterest was interesting. It's funny to think of all the things we kind of leave laying around on the internet that we sort of lost interest in (it's sort of like a bookshelf full of have finished/not started books). Even the old twitter that you've seem to have lost interest is a lot like that.
ReplyDelete