While searching on the various suggested websites, as well as social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, I am not surprised to have found very little about myself. On whitepages.com, I searched my home address. Although nothing came up about myself, my mom and dad's names were connected to my address. When searching for phone numbers I found that it displayed my cell phone carrier and my city.I also found 2 links connected to my name after I conducted a search on Google. One link connected my name to a list of members on my high school dance team, since I was involved with that club all four years of high school. Another link connected my name to a list of students on honor roll. Since I am very careful about my privacy settings on social media accounts, I was thankful to find that someone who was not my friend on Facebook was only allowed to view my profile picture, my cover photo, and where I attend college. My Twitter account, on the other hand, is not private at all. Those who search me are able to see who I am following, and tweets that I am tweeting.
The information about me on Twitter represents me as someone who is very interested in famous dancers such as those on Dancing With The Stars and So You Think You Can Dance. I tend to get a lot of dance fan pages following me due to the algorithms on Twitter. Someone might also make the assumption that I love comedy due to the fact that I follow many comedians on Twitter. Finally, on Facebook, the only thing that I can think of that would represent me is that I go to UW Madison. So, that represents me as a college student, and connects me to ads such as student discounts, etc.
Even though I was not able to find much about myself, this activity really opened my eyes about how accessible everything is on the internet. It is very important to monitor the things we post under our name on the internet, and how our actions represent our shadow body.
I too only found that my twitter was open to the public. I agree that it shows one side of your personality, the side that uses twitter. I was very surprised at how much of twitter was public, but the rest I feel very safe about. You say that the activity was an eye opener and I agree, but also displayed a lot that I already know. After doing that I do not think that anyone could find out that much revealing about myself. Everything they could see I would tell just about anyone who asked.
ReplyDeleteAbout public twitter profiles—I've found that you can learn quite a lot about a person by what they have in their favorites. Someone could piece together the puzzle and find deeply specific things about another person.
ReplyDelete