Sunday, October 12, 2014

Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in the Social Media Age




The book I'm going to read is Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, & Branding in the Social Media Age by Alice E. Marwick, published in 2013. This book probably had the most positive reviews, although there were none on ProQuest or Project Muse. The ideas of sexism, authenticity of followers and contributors,  micro-celebrities, and inequality behind the scenes all remind me of what I've encountered on social websites. It seems like a book I can related to and reflect on as I read it.

One of the books I considered was Pirate Politics: The New Information Policy Contests by Patrick Burkart, published in 2014.There was almost no information on this book, aside from the summary. I did find one review written by someone from Yale Law School through International Journal of the Commons. Even then, there was a lot of terminology I didn't recognize. What caught me was the story behind the rise of pirates and how they believed piracy was a positive thing. 

The other book I considered was Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of a Creative Mind by Biz Stone, published in 2014. I was not able to find information on this book either, other than the reviews on market websites. The book was reviewed by many as a partial memoir as Stone traces his journey in co-developing Twitter. Having left college and not gaining a degree in computer science, Stone was still able to achieve high standards. It seems quite inspirational to be honest, but the book samples didn't seem all that intriguing, so I decided to pass on it.







1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.