Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Digital Free

Well, in reflecting on my past weekend, I realized my integration with (particularly digital) technology is problematic.  I didn't make it more than an hour at any point this weekend in trying to stay away from technology.  With the events of the weekend, I needed to use my cell phone to stay connected to friends, know where they are, and find my way around downtown.  It being the weekend of Freak Fest and several other huge events downtown, I required my phone to look up event hours and locations.  I also required my phone to stay in touch with my girlfriend away on vacation.  My boss also texted me and although I could have just called him and talked to him on a landline, I was not in a home that had one all weekend.  My dad also wanted to skype me from Florida before taking a 2-week vacation to Vegas.  All of these things surmounted into a mess of difficulties that prevented me from being able to stay away from digital technology.  I know that I could have done a lot more preparation and found a lot more alternatives to using digital technology, but with the business and complications of the weekend, and with the number of people who rely on me and my usage of digital connections, the mission was a failure from the start for me.  Digital technology is such a necessity in life now that not using it makes me feel out of the loop compared to friends and family.  I feel fortunate for the way technology has progressed and both sad and unfortunate that I am addicted to it, as are many, and can't stay away from it for long enough to sympathize with the people who never had access to this type of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.