Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Manpower Assignment

Madison, WI
Searching the jobs in Madison provided 18 positions that require an appropriate amount of knowledge and skills regarding computer programs for sales and accounting or machine skills for assemblers and technology laborers. Many of these jobs seem like they require high skills, hard work, and are pretty menial; however, they pay well and many are secured with permanent positions. Oddly enough, it seems like the more appealing jobs (sales representatives) are paid much less than the menial jobs (laborers).

Rice Lake, WI
When I searched jobs in my hometown, the search engine provided me three options: a receptionist, a web engineer, and a cheese maker. The receptionist and web engineer positions both require computer literacy; however, web engineering obviously requires a lot more programming and software knowledge. The cheese maker position did not require much technical knowledge other than using sanitation devices and cheese mold machines. The engineering and cheese making positions are both permanent offers while the receptionist is only a temporary job.

St. Paul, MN
This location had very similar job offers as Madison. There are packaging positions, sales representative positions and of course machine operation/line production working positions. What is different is that it seems like there are more temporary jobs than permanent positions. This means the pay is much lower, averaging from $12-$14/hour. The jobs mainly require the knowledge and ability to safely operate machinery as well as some computer literacy skills.

Overall, I think most of my findings have given me temporary menial jobs. If I had to move to one of these locations and find a job based off of my searches, I think I would have to choose to stay in Madison. Though there are menial jobs, they pay well and are permanent. Besides that, Madison is a young and thriving city. I'm sure I could gain knowledge, experience and connections from being in such a successful city.

2 comments:

  1. I also noticed in the Madison listings that the menial jobs were paid more than others and found it a little strange. I also agree, from my personal findings, that if I had to choose one, it would be Madison because of the diversity of listings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting because when I searched for Madison (3 days later), there were only 13 available positions. Based off the three cities you chose, I would probably say Madison had the best jobs, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.