I started an hour late on Friday (by total reflex I sent someone a text without thinkin' (the irony being it didn't even send)), so I also ended an hour late on Sunday. On one level, going without network-y things for a weekend was pretty simple. I had to pull, in total, two loopholes one being having someone send me in case there was a change in, or I had screwed up, a location/time (I had) which I looked at but did not respond to, and I checked my email to see if Facebook had updated/changed an event time/location (it had). Outside of those two loopholes, I could get on perfectly find without checking facebook/sending texts, as for the most part I don't use them (at least to contact people) super frequently. If I have my podcasts and my google maps (and my solid gold house and rocket car) then I'm pretty set.
That being said, I use facebook a ton, albeit not really to network/talk with people. For the most part its like a constant break from doing other things. Like, if I read five pages and tell myself "Oh, well, time for a short break" then I spend a few minutes (+) on Facebook. I would frequently find myself getting to those points and suddenly thinking "Dammit", or, worse, feeling a weird pit in the bottom of my stomach when I realized I couldn't anticipate getting on Facebook after doing a chunk of work. Whenever I attempt to go either cold or lukewarm turkey with Facebook, I'm reminded of this quote from Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box:
"Danny did not think coke and computers were anything alike. But Jude had seen the way people hunched over their screens, clicking the refresh button again and again, waiting for some crucial if meaningless hit of information, and he thought it was almost exactly the same.”
You may have come closer to being free of digital technology this past weekend then any of us haha!
ReplyDelete