Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving Blog: Grandma

I interviewed my grandmother, Mary Dorrance, about this holiday assignment question and this is what she said:

Mei Li: What was or is the most important piece of information technology you have ever used in your lifetime?
Mary: Well I guess I would have to say the local newspaper. I read a lot of books in college, but I found the most interesting and useful information in the newspapers.
Mei Li: Why the newspaper? What about the television, computer, or telephone?
Mary: Well as you know, I worked as a secretary for a little while but I mainly spent most of my life as a homemaker so I could raise my five children. I never had the need to learn how to work a computer, I don't even know how to turn it on. As for the telephone, I only use it to verbally talk with other people. I don't know how to use those smartphones or iPhones or whatever they're called! Texting and video chatting is too complicated for me! (laugh) And I suppose the television is very useful since I am able to watch golf and national news, but I still feel like the newspaper has been my best source of information "technology."
Mei Li: What specifically about the newspaper makes it your most important information technology? And does this have anything to do with the fact that your father and late husband owned a newspaper company?
Mary: Well I suppose so. Growing up I've always had easy access to the local newspaper. I just think the local newspapers give you the personal touch of a community. Rice Lake is a small city, so reading about the local events is more relatable because I know some if not most of the people in the events.
Mei Li: Just out of curiosity, what is your second choice if you couldn't pick the local newspaper as your ideal choice of information technology?
Mary: Probably a book I guess. I don't know how to use the computer or fancy phone!

So my grandma's old fashioned and is definitely a "digital immigrant." She was born in the early 1930s, so growing up the newspaper and book were the two main sources of information at that time. She hasn't really conformed to the new technologies of modern society and doesn't really care to. I wonder what new technologies will happen in the future and if our generation will be willing to adapt to the changes or if we will be "stubborn" like my grandma and stick to what we know.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Reading your Grandma's answers was entertaining to me as my own grandparents are similar "digital immigrants." Although they own computers and attempt to use them on a daily basis, my mom, my sisters, or I often have to help them do things on them like send emails or get on a certain website. Overall, this post was interesting to see how older generations hold onto past technologies...and brings into question the whole "digital native, digital immigrant" stuff we discussed in 301.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.