I read an article called The Memex in Your Pocket, How technology is expanding our minds by Will Oremus. He begins by asking three questions: what’s the square root of 2,130? How many Roadmaster convertibles did Buick build in 1949? What airline has never lost a jet plane in a crash? He concludes that if you knew those answers instantly, you are either, Rain Man (I do not understand this reference) or you were the internet search. Oremus continues by evaluating how our lives are focused on technology around us. By the memex in our pocket, Oremus means our smartphone, which is capable of internet search, voice searches, housing apps such as Facebook and Evernote, and so forth. All these programs and software house the memories of our lives, chronologically, and we are able to access the whenever we wish to.
The article pointed out the same facts we've discussed. The memex was truly a sight into the future, or our present. Functions of the memex now exist. Although all these functions may not always exist through one software, program, or thing, we are now capable of all the hypothetical functions of the memex.
The most interesting part of the article was Microsoft's MyLifeBits project, inspired by Bush's vision of the memex, where Microsoft researcher Gordon Bell tried to record, scan, and index everything he read, wrote, watched, and heard. Honestly, I don't know how this guy put up with it, but as Oremus states, "the task has grown less cumbersome over the years [with the enhancements of technology that does the tasks for us]" (2013).
Yeah, this is kind of the logical end goal of all of these arguments. Relates pretty strongly back to lecture and the idea of "When are we going to take the "phone" out of iPhone?" question. Also, the idea of documenting everything I heard...(etc.) is an idea I'm oddly drawn to.
ReplyDelete(Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_Man)
(That didn't turn into the hyperlink I wanted it to. Damn you reliance on Facebook technology! Long story short: Rain Man has become (not the most tasteful) short term for "savant")
Delete