Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Blog: Dad

          Between the turkey comas and football hype I was able to strike up a conversation with my dad about a little piece of technology that I think know one in our family misses, the pager. My dad works as a radiologist, which is a doctor that operates on bones (MRI's and the like), so he would have to be in the hospital at a moments notice. Before text messages there were pagers, and they were what my dad's hospital used to call in doctors when they needed them. Me and my dad talked for awhile about how clunky, and unresponsive they were. Not only were they quite slow in receiving and relaying messages, but cheaper ones were simply difficult to use. As a kid we never liked them because it would always mean our dad had to leave or, even worse, take us to the extremely boring (as a 6-year old) hospital. That being said they still did their job, which at the time was a very important one. They weren't hard to learn either, operating them was quite simple, so my dad's overall impression of them isn't abysmal.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly forgot that pagers existed, but I do remember my dad having one and it constantly beeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously forgot that pagers existed as well. I guess with easy access to cell phones, they have taken the place of pagers. If I ever need to get a hold of someone quickly, my first response is to shoot them a text, or call them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.