Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Blended Course Reflection

As someone who has taken several courses in the “hybrid” style, I have found that I generally like the approach. As an example of another hybrid class, I actually had similar experiences in the English class I am taking this semester, where we had a class blog to post comments on. I also have a friend at UW-La Crosse in a class that is somewhat online-offline (which I don't know much about, sorry).

In regards to LIS 201, I think the online parts of the class enhanced my learning and connectedness with everyone. The blog posts allowed me to further understand the content and analyze it more fully. However, at times the online activities did not feel super connected to the readings to me, and so I probably learned more form the in-person discussion sections where the material was discussed more. This leads me to believe that hybrid courses work best when the online parts are extensions of the course rather than the main part of them. 

When it comes to if the course material impacted my perspective on online experiences, I think it definitely has. Because my understanding of the information society and digital issues has increased, I now feel like I know how to benefit more from the online parts of these courses and in my own usage of the internet. The course taught me how to use the tools of the blog and Wiki, which was helpful. So, in conclusion, I think the online-offline parts of these class worked together rather well.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more! I do think when flexibility is not an issue that the integration of a blended course used as an extension of the class is extremely helpful. I do agree also on the point about the blog posts not being excessively connected to the lectures and readings, but I liked that about the course, because I felt the faint connections made me have to tie it together more on my own, and that is where this out of the classroom and online portion helped.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.