Thursday, December 4, 2014

Blended-Hybrid

It seems from looking up how other colleges define Hybrid courses that it is particularly a mix between a regular course and a fully online course. It sounds like time is distributed equally between the two, yet even from the descriptions I can tell that most have more of an emphasis on one or the other.
I think LIS 201 was a hybrid with much more of an emphasis on traditional class time rather than on online-related coursework.
I can't really tell how other classes in college would work using a hybrid structure, because I have only had experience in a FIG all specifically about the Internet. I would say that they all have hybrid-like activities integrated into the course, but this class definitely integrates it the most.
I would not say that this class can even be fully considered a hybrid course, but the activities that were online and needed Internet skills to successfully accomplish them was important to the class, yet I do not think it is helpful for just courses on the Internet. In high school, I had many English classes in which there was a blog component to the course.
In some cases, especially in many of the examples and descriptions from other colleges that I read about online, it sounds as though they were created in order to give the students and the professors more leeway in how and where they learned the course work, yet in the case of LIS 201 and my English classes in high school, the hybrid-like coursework was included for more than just a flexible schedule. They were included because it taught extra skills that just so happened to both relate to the course and occurred in an online format. 
In all my FIG courses, the online activities never went before the actual lectures or the discussions, which I found to be a good balance. I enjoyed that there was a variety in the format of my projects and homework that also included learning how to use the format in the process. This is helpful to me in the future if I ever run into any sites I used in 201 and other FIG classes, and it also taught me probably a bit more subtly about my coursework by connecting some fist-hand experience to it all.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the lectures in LIS 201 had much more emphasis than the online aspects. I also don't know how other hybrid courses work, because this is my only one, but I imagine that they would be successful in all different subject matters, rather than just course on the Internet. I also agree with what you said about "extra skills" being taught. I didn't know how to write a blog or uses wiki before this class, but now I feel comfortable using them both.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.