“Hybrid”
or “blended” courses are often referred to as courses “that are
traditional face-to-face ‘seat time’ has been replaced by online learning
activities.” The online
activities reinforce those face-to-face lectures that are given.
I
found a list of 6 hybrid/ blended courses offered at UW-Milwaukee:
Advanced Nursing Practice Interventions
Buy Me! Ads and Shopping in American Culture
Cross-Cultural Study of Religion
Survey American Literature, 1865-1940
Management
Analysis
Site
and the Public Space
There are a wide variety of courses offered,
and I’m sure in the future many more will be offered, considering the
information society that we are in.
I
think this class was a good mix of online activities and physical lectures. The
online activities nicely related what we talked about in class, further
expanding our knowledge on the subject matter and allowing us to contribute our
opinions and see what others has to say. The lectures were a good way to
explain and clarify information from the readings, but didn’t create as much
discussion as the online lectures did.
This
course definitely made me more comfortable with using blogs and wikis. I never
blogged, or even read other blogs, until taking this course. I really enjoyed
it because I feel like blogging is more personal, and informal, which makes it
easier to write what you think. I would recommend other courses to have some
online component, like this class, but nothing more extensive than what we did.
I think having too much of a course online could cause students to fall behind
and not keep up on their work.
I think the reading we did in class were a major way we were able to learn the concepts. Since the readings were so heavily focused on the Internet and society, I thought that the online components were a great addition. However, I don’t think it would be any different for a course that didn’t focus on the Internet. The hybrid/blended course offered at UW-Milwaukee don’t have to do with the Internet, yet are still effectively taught with an online component.
I think the reading we did in class were a major way we were able to learn the concepts. Since the readings were so heavily focused on the Internet and society, I thought that the online components were a great addition. However, I don’t think it would be any different for a course that didn’t focus on the Internet. The hybrid/blended course offered at UW-Milwaukee don’t have to do with the Internet, yet are still effectively taught with an online component.
I agree completely with your point about this course making you more comfortable with using blogs and wikis. At the beginning of the semester I barely knew what a wiki was and now I feel so confident in my ability to work with online spaces!
ReplyDelete