Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Book Project - Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other

To start off, I searched Amazon.com for terms like "information technology", "human-computer interactions", and "information society". I was looking for a book that would be on an interesting subject like culture or psychology, have good reviews, and not read like a textbook. I didn't want a fiction book. I stumbled upon Alone Together, The Mobile Wave, and The Glass Cage while looking through Amazon and refining my search with WorldCat. 

Description: Turkle provides interviews and her own experiences to discuss how technology is affecting our relationships and community. 
Pages: 384
$10

Description: In this book that is just over two years old, Michael Saylor predicts a future revolving around mobile devices, where commerce, businesses, and jobs will be dominated by mobile software. 
Pages: 304
$18

The Glass Cage: Automation and Us (Nicholas Carr, September 2014)
Description: This book, by an important author we have studied in a couple FIG courses, was literally just published two weeks ago (so it has very few reviews). It's about where automated technology is taking the human race, and the issues and consequences that come along with that automation. I vaguely referenced an excerpt from this book in my midterm essay, so it was intriguing to have this book come up as a potential read. 
Pages: 288
$20


I decided to read Alone Together because I see that emotional disconnect all around me, and the psychology behind all of that sounds pretty interesting. Also it seems she's a really good writer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.