I'm not surprised that I wasn't able to find much information about me. There weren't a lot of references to me as a person or my social networking sites. Things that did come up were mainly school related profiles such as my Prezi account.
I will be honest though and say that I have searched my name in the past. A couple years ago, I was able to find nearly all the social networking sites I belonged to. I had taken part in traditional Hmong dance and was able to find videos of my performances too. Now they don't appear unless I go to the website they were posted up on and search my name there.
Now that I think about it, during those times, I often wrote my name as: ShengYeng on social media. I was able to locate myself through that specific spelling. Even on Facebook I could find myself.
I don't mind not being able to find myself on the internet with a broad search term. I feel more secured. With the items that do come up relative to myself, such as the dance videos found only through searching my friends' information or the Taiko related posts, I prefer people to know that side of me. Those are the activities I take the most pride in and enjoy the most and love sharing that. On the other hand, there are projects out there I would hope for people to see and share but are not found unless specific search terms are used.
All in all, I like staying slightly anonymous on the internet. I don't think it's necessary to market myself to people I don't know until it's necessary. When it is necessary, I will make the call to broadcast myself. For now, in the position I am in, I am satisfied with my search results.
I agree with your last statement about being anonymous on the internet. It's important to monitor the things we post under our name on the internet, and think about how our actions represent ourselves. It is also important to monitor what we post on the web because many potential employers search for applicants and sometimes the results they find can cause someone to lose a job.
ReplyDelete